Gain the knowledge and skills required to become an excellent report writer with the Report Writing for Local Government workshop.
Local governments have a constant flow of information that must be communicated in the most efficient and clear way. This workshop will provide participants with an enhanced understanding of key report writing concepts and an improved knowledge of grammar and punctuation essentials.
Participants will leave the workshop with several practical take-aways that can be instantly applied in their local government role, one of the most important being an improved ability to produce easy to read reports that are clear and to the point.
Key learnings and workshop outcomes will include:
- how to gather and organise information effectively;
- how to structure information for ease of understanding;
- demonstrated techniques to simplify and present complex information;
- an enhanced understanding of the use and misuse of all punctuation marks;
- strategies for targeting a specific readership;
- producing appropriate executive summaries; and
- making recommendations supported by the report's evidence.
John Harman is an ex-Fleet Street journalist; he has also written scripts for many popular UK television series. John is now a novelist, with several international crime thrillers as well as more than twenty non-fiction books. John has lectured extensively in the UK, USA and in Australia.
He is an adjunct senior lecturer at the school of Communications and Contemporary Arts at ECU. He specialises in conducting workshops for companies and for State and Local Government on simple and effective writing skills; presentation skills; the use of creativity and visioneering in leadership.